21st amendment brewery

finally, post #2 about my afternoon at 21st amendment brewery in san francisco
i mean, it was only two weeks ago now...

let's talk about the beers!
they have a couple of different menus within the restaurant,
one for the beer garden (all cans and kegs served into plastic cups)
the main bar, and one for the loft bar

main bar menu

loft menu

beer garden menu

i began with a wee taster of the hell or high watermelon wheat ale (4.9%, 17 ibus) as i am not a big wheat fan
in fact i think like most of us i am somewhat wheat intolerant
crisp, watermelon notes are right on... not too much but definitely enough there to make you feel like summer
i can see why this one is such a huge seller for them

i also had a taster of my server's favourite, the old glory red ale (7.3%, 70 ibus)
made me want a pint of it though, it is a total pleaser
hoppy, just dark enough to keep it interesting
my plan of attack though was to work my way through the ipas
so i decided that if my friend was late meeting me, i would have a pint of the old glory after the over hopulation and hop crisis, since the back in black wasn't on tap...

they also have guest bottles you can try

i thought i had ordered the endeavour pale ale (5.6%, 29 ibus) and had a whole review written up about how i couldn't believe it was only 29 ibus because it tasted like 80... i found it very pleasing
then when i went up to order my next beer, the over hopulation, my lovely server whitney checked my tab and told me that she'd given me the over hopulation first, accidently
so... it was 80 ibus and 7.1%, which made me feel a whole lot better about my palate, and my alcohol tolerance!
deep goldon colour, good lacing
crisp, hoppy and delicious
and whitney bought it for me
it just doesn't get better than that!

and whitney let me try the endeavour
which tasted like a pale ale with 29 ibus
oooh, love that endeavour is spelled with a "u" - so canadian of them!
kinda glad i started with the over hopulation accidently though
it was way more fun than the pale ale

moved right on to the hop crisis - the beer i had been most itching to try
imperial ipa, 9.7%, 94 ibus
served in a tulip glass, deep golden colour
strong lacing on glass, not much of a nose, but hello hops on the first sip
still some malt balance
not too fruity/citrusy, not too bitter
definitely an imperial and mega-hopped, but i wasn't overwhelmed by alcohol or bitterness
heck, i found it rather smooth in a crisp way



my friend stacey arrived and ordered a south park blonde
5.1%, 17 ibus
my taste buds may have been fried when she let me try it, but i got nice malt flavours on that blonde!
stacey said "it tastes good, I like it"
me, i say not bad at all!

and i ordered a pint of the old glory
i think it was my favourite of the day
citrus hops, oak aged
(frankly it reminded me of a red racer esb...)
a thing of beauty and a joy to imbibe

by this time i was really quite delighted by the world around me
and wanted to never ever leave 21st amendment
i also wanted to try the oyster stout
and have a back in black from a can...

but fortunately for me i had other places to go and other beers to try!
my life is fun!



regular pints are $6
specials like the hop crisis are $7
cans are $4

563 2nd St
San Francisco, California 94107, United States
(415) 369-0900

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

brewing up gender parity

the end of an era

label of love